Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Laveder by Leslye Walton

Genre: A Fiction
Pages: 301
Type: Standalone
Published: March 2014
My Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: To many, I was myth incarnate, the embodiment of a most superb legend, a fairy tale. Some considered me a monster, a mutation. To my great misfortune, I was once mistaken for an angel. To my mother, I was everything. To my father, nothing at all. To my grandmother, I was a daily reminder of loves long lost. But I knew the truth — deep down, I always did.

I was just a girl.

Review: 

Going into this particular novel, I think I can confidently say that my expectations were like, pretty high. I'd heard people talk about how much they loved it, but I honestly had never watched or read any reviews on it and so I just didn't know what the book was all about. It's kind of funny how I had high expectations for a book that I knew nil about.

So... Were my expectations fulfilled? Yes, they were. Was I beyond satisfied in the end? Yes, I was. Did I devour it wholly and completely? Yes! I did.

This novel will tear you apart from page one. I promise you. It will suck you in and never want to let you go. Once you start, you have to reach the end. There is no way out. It is a one-way road, people.

I fell in love with just about everything in Ava Lavender's life. But. What stood out most prominently to me in this story was the writing style. It is extremely poetic. What could be written in five simple words, is stretched out to seven flowing words. The words and sentences and paragraphs just weave into each other and there they sit.

What someone would usually write:
A carpenter walked into the room.
What Walton would write:
The smell of wood and strength indicated the entrance of a carpenter.

By the way, that example is not from this book. It's just my interpretation. But you see what I'm trying to get across? Exactly.

Walton is a genius, if you ask me. I can't believe that this book is her debut! Also, before I forget, I L-O-V-E the title of this book. It's so nice and I don't know, I like long titles. Also, the cover is gorgeous!

I'm diverting now.

OK, talking about the story line. It's definitely very vague, not to mention, unique. What's been told to you is extremely minimal and puzzling. But as you go along with the story the puzzle pieces start fitting together and everything makes so much more sense! It was very unusual and just plain awesome. :)

I enjoyed the characters a lot. They had so much depth and definition to them, it kinda fried my brain. In a good way, though. :P

The book didn't just focus on Ava Lavender, it talked a lot about Ava' mother, Vivane and before that, Emilienne, her grandmother. I loved how it wasn't just your typical story. I also found the way the romance played out to be very interesting and realistic. Since the book didn't focus on romance heavily, and there isn't just one love interest, it proved to be quite a surprise at times. What is unexpected just happens and you don't know if it'll be alright.

Overall, I think that the book is phenomenal, I wish I'd picked it up earlier! If unusual, out-of-the-box books are your type, then definitely check this one out.






No comments:

Post a Comment