Monday, December 22, 2014

Beastly by Alex Flinn

I went to the library! Can you believe it?! And I read a book in a day! *sing song voice* My Intro lines are getting way too lame. :/ ;)
Genre: YA Fairytale Retelling 
Pages: 304
Type: Standalone 
Goodreads Rating: 3.85 Avg
Published: 2 Oct 2007
My Rating: 4/5 
Synopsis: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

Review: 

  This book was turned into a movie, ya guys! And Alex Pettyfer is in it! *swoon*

  So. The book was a modern fairytale Retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. I think the story took a new take by focusing on Beast instead of Beauty. Our Beast is named Kyle and he's this hot, arrogant, rich guy who treats poor and ugly people like crap. And so, this witch casts a spell on him. He'll be a beast forever unless within two years he finds true love and gets a kiss from her. 
 
  I really liked the fact that Alex focused on Kyle. I'm not going to tell who Beauty was, since it's very interesting to find out who Beauty is on your own. 

  I really liked the fact that there was some sort of hidden goal behind the story. It was about how you nobody is less. It taught Kyle a lesson that you know, ugly people exist and it is not supposed to be a problem. Nobody is perfect and just because you are pretty on the inside means you're pretty on the inside too. Like I said, I liked how it had a greater goal. 

  Now what made me deduce a star was that, the book wasn't anything different than the fairytale. The only difference I found was the time change. Otherwise, there wasn't much difference. 

  Also, the book lacked in humor. It wasn't like, entirely dark and sad and stuff. But it did not have any lightness to it. Although, I did enjoy the characters quite a bit. My favorite character would have to be Will. He was Kyle's tutor. Blind. I really enjoyed his company. Dunno why, but he had a soothing character. 

  Which, brings me to my other issue, the characters did get a bit annoying at times or the story would just drag on. Something, that no one ever enjoys. 

  Overall, I enjoyed the book, not the best out there, though. Albeit, if you're into fairytale Retelling, you might enjoy the book. Or even if you're into romance. Because, by God, this one made my heart ache. 





No comments:

Post a Comment